Banana-Nutella Ice Cream Sandwich
For the cookies
- 2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg + 1 yolk
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and set aside
- Combine melted butter with all the sugar until smooth. Whisk in the egg and then the egg yolk and add vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove dough from fridge and form into balls that are about 2 tbsp in size and place on baking sheet ensuring there is enough room for them to expand. Bake for about 12 minutes. At this point the cookies should be slightly undercooked but they will continue cooking after they are removed. Set aside until ready to build sandwiches.
For the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 4 cups frozen bananas, sliced
- 2 heaping tbsp Nutella
- Add the banana to a blender or food processor and pulse until an ice cream like texture begins to form. It may take a while but it will eventually come together. When the mixture begins to look like ice cream, add the Nutella and continue to blend until fully incorporated.
- Spread ice cream mixture onto a cake pan in a layer that is about 1” thick. Freeze for about an hour until solid. Using a cookie cutter or a cup that is approximately the same size as your cookies, cut out circles of ice cream. To build sandwiches, place a round of ice cream between two cookies. You can eat them right away or re-freeze for a few hours if you prefer a harder ice cream sandwich.