Can you think of any food more comforting than big a bowl of mac & cheese? I don’t think I can. It really is the perfect comfort food. It’s warm, cheesy, crispy, and so satisfying. It’s got it all going on. It makes for a great lunch or a great dinner. It can be made for casual and also for special occasions. I really don’t see why you’d ever need to eat anything else. And good news, it also couldn’t be simpler to make. Whether you’re a first time cook or a chopped champion, I promise that you can do it. Just follow the recipe below!
- 1/2 box elbow macaroni noodles (half a pound)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2.5 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups of cheese (2 cups cheddar, 1 cup Monterey Jack, 1 cup Gruyere)*
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add flour and whisk to combine
- Pour milk into saucepan and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens
- Slowly add 3 cups of cheese to the pan and mix until the sauce has reached a smooth consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the noodles into a lightly greased cast iron pan or oven safe dish, pour the sauce over and combine.
- Top the noodles with remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and delicious
*if these cheeses don’t sit well with you, feel free to swap it for your favourite kind. Just be sure to use the same amount.